Nice job you've done here. I've attempted to inform schools about using alternatives to pesticides and herbicides. Most commomly used here are permethrin, cypermethrin, Maxbait and Round-Up. The ground control has no control over the situation or any idea that Round-Up is toxic for that matter. The head of the department refuses to discuss the issue.Although there is a law that requires notice and info is posted, most parents aren't aware of the regular monthly use, that the district officals claim as a state law, which is incorrect. There is no such law. I have several schools with teachers that are trying to grow an organic garden for science projects. They have no impact on ground control or district officials in supporting their mission and in fact when the district is informed about the plan of the garden, they send out ground control to apply Round-Up to the area so that the teachers don't have to work so hard to remove the weeds. I've offered to give workshops on organic gardening and pesticide free schools.They are not receptive. Any ideas, suggestions and other information is greatly appritiated.
Thank you,Beth Cervantes
EnviroHealth Chair,AZ PTA
Dear Beth - I have added you to my newsletter e-mail list. I have
often said it is like watching lemmings running to the sea----------- how
can we stop them from killing themselves and us? There are no easy answers.
Keep on - keep on - and then keep on them some more. They can not
avoid the truth forever. I have removed all of the pests inside and
outside in over 350 schools without ever using any volatile pesticide poisons.Even
when people hear that there are no pest problems ----- they want poisons
sprayed again, "just to be sure....." We had schools that sprayed
different poisons every week for over 17 years and never got control of
the pest. We removed the "pest" in days with safe alternatives, I
have often joked with these people that I would have begun to wonder if
their poisons were "working" in about the 15th year. But, they sure
do not get the point - especially while they are spraying - probably because
the poisons are intoxicating them. In Ohio less than 50% of the kids
could pass their proficiency tests.....when we removed the pesticide poisons
in our schools, the kids all passed. What more can I say..... Keep
on, PLEASE KEEP ON! Have a great day! Steve.
[ Review the Elements of this Program ]
[ Email/Comment sitemap ]
For further information please contact:
Safe 2 Use
Get Set, Inc.
Visit a school success story | FAQ about the Program | Get Set Site Map